Our Green Policy
The management of Bloomfield House Hotel, Leisure Club & Spa recognises that everything we do has an effect upon the environment. We wish to continuously improve our environmental performance, ensuring the sustainability of our actions. We intend to do this by reviewing annually our environmental impact to ensure that we maintain high eco-tourism standards and implement best environmental practice.
We aim to:
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation and industry standards.
- Reduce our use of non-renewable resources and of energy produced from such resources.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle waste wherever practical.
- Prevent and minimise pollution.
- Use all resources efficiently.
- Increase our use of recycled materials and materials from renewable sources.
- Pass on the benefits of improved environmental practice to our staff and guests.
Specifically we are:
- Conserving energy and water.
- Reducing waste through, re-using and recycling.
- Monitoring and reducing our reliance on non-renewable resources.
- Monitoring and reducing our use of non-ecological detergents and disinfectants and replacing them with ecological products.
- Monitoring and reducing our use of chemicals, and where possible replacing them with environmentally safe products.
- Educating, training and motivating our staff to work in an environmentally responsible manner and to participate in developing new ideas and initiatives.
- Communicating with our guests and providing information about local landscape, biodiversity and nature conservation measures in our area.
- Maintaining and planting on hotel grounds.
As guests you have been asked to help us improve our environmental performance by:
- Keeping windows closed if the heating is on.
- Turning off lights, TV’s etc when they are not required.
- Saving water by not using running water while brushing teeth and shaving, and to report any leaks.
- Requesting when towels are to be changed.
- Separating waste into the bins provided.
As proprietors we have provided you with information about the local environment, modes of local transport, our commitment to the environment through our policy and the measures we are implementing. We have also provided you with locally produced food, a clean and healthy environment, and a promise of continual improvement.
New eco-friendly Wooden Keycards
We recently introdcued new eco-friendly wooden Keycards – durable, reliable and a sustainable alternative to our plastic cards which we are phasing out. Environmental sustainability is one of the defining issues of our time with wide-ranging implications for society and for every sector of our economy. How we respond will be key to the future success of our industry.
Biodegradable Paper Straws at Bloomfield House Hotel
We have introduced Biodegradable Paper Straws at Bloomfield House Hotel to reduce our plastic waste.
Did you know?
- It takes up to 200 years for plastic straws to decompose
- 500 million straws are used daily in America - that's enough to circle around the Earth 2.5 times
- Plastic straws are the 11th most found ocean trash
Go Plastic Free! Encourage your friends and family to take the pledge too! And of course, whenever ordering a drink, you can always politely request “no straw, please.”
We have also recently replaced single use plastic toiletry bottles with refill bottles.